New Family FAQ

New Family FAQ

(updated 8/25/2017)

Pick Up/Drop Off/Absences

How do I pick up my child early from school?

Please fill out and send in an Attendance Note with your child on that day. Check in at the office to sign out on the “Early Dismissal” sheet and your child will be called to the office.

How do I pick up my child at the end of the school day?

Arrive a few minutes early and write your child’s name on the “Pick Up” list in the office and then wait in the lobby. All children on the list will be called to come to the lobby at the end of school.

What if my child arrives at school late?

The child will need to stop in the office to receive a tardy slip. If the tardy is excused, please come in with your child to sign the “Late Arrival” sheet and submit a blue form.

What do I do if my child is staying home from school due to illness?

Please call the school to let them know and then follow up with an Attendance Note  within three days after your child returns to school.

What do I need to do if my child will be absent from school due to a family trip?

In accordance with Educational Trips Policy 204, a student will be permitted to take no more than two (2) educational trips per school year, not to exceed a total of five (5) school days, with his/her parents/guardian. An excused absence will be recorded for trips complying with program requirements. An Educational Trip Form must be completed and returned to the office one week prior to the trip. Neglecting to gain prior approval for an educational trip will result in the recording of unlawful daily absences for those days absent. Please schedule trips around the PA State Assessment testing window for students in Grades 3, 4, and 5. Educational trips will not be approved during the testing window for your child. 


Where are the school lunch menus?

Monthly school lunch menus are available on the district website.

How do I put money in my child’s lunch account?

Online payments can be processed through or cash/check payments can be sent to school with your child. Please be sure to include your child’s name and student ID number with the payment. All checks should be made payable to CV School Lunch Account.

How does my child use his/her lunch account?

Your child provides his/her student ID number at the registers to pay for lunch.

Can I have lunch with my child in school?

Yes! However, due to the limited space in the cafeteria, please contact the school office in advance to make sure there is room.


How does my child receive medication at school?

If your child needs prescription medication for a short term illness, please plan the doses to be taken outside of school hours. If this is not possible, if your child needs prescription medication during the day to manage a chronic condition or for over the counter medication, please submit the applicable medication form.

How do I alert the school about an allergy/food sensitivity/dietary restriction?

Please contact the school nurse and your child’s teacher regarding any special medical and/or allergy needs.


What are cycle days?

Our school runs on a six-day cycle (Day 1, Day 2, Day 3, etc), instead of a Monday-Friday schedule. Cycle days are noted on the school lunch menus for your reference. Cycle days are subject to change according to days off school. If there is an unscheduled day off school (i.e. snow day), we would then break the present cycle to make up for the day missed.

What is a Green Day?

Once a month we encourage children to bring a “Litterless Lunch” on Green Days to reduce the amount of waste produced at Shaull. Packing a litterless lunch includes packing only what your child can eat and using reusable containers, napkins and water bottles. After each month's Green Day, we will show the students how much trash they saved...the difference is amazing! 

How do I find information about non-school related activities such as sports teams, scouts and camps in the area?

In an effort to reduce paper, non-school related activities are posted to an electronic bulletin board.

How do I receive notices from the district and/or school via email?

Sign up for CV E-news to select which types of email alerts you want to receive. You can limit the emails you receive to the specific schools your children attend.

Can my child celebrate his/her birthday at school?

Children in kindergarten are sometimes permitted to bring a small snack to share in the classroom, whereas it is recommended for older children to bring their snack to share at lunchtime. Parents are also encouraged to consider non-food options such as extra recess time or sitting in a special chair in the classroom to celebrate their child’s special day. Please discuss with your child’s teacher their preferences. 

Can birthday party invitations be sent to school for distribution?

Birthday invitations can be sent to be distributed at school only if all students in your child’s class is invited to the party. If you have hosting a smaller party, invitations would need to be distributed either through the mail or by some other means.

Should children (Grades 1-5) attend Back to School Night?

For families returning to Shaull, the Back to School Night held the first week of school is for parents only. No child care is provided. (Families new to Shaull and families with kindergarteners, both children and parents should attend the Kindergarten Orientation/New Family Open House held the week before school starts.)

When will I find out the new teacher of my child?

Due to the fluctuation of student enrollment numbers throughout the summer, letters are send out in mid to late August.

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2024 SchoolMessenger Corporation. All rights reserved.